Berkshire Wins Fifth straight, NMH Tops Avon, Bruins Remain Undefeated, and More

The clear cut playoff favorites are starting to emerge from a crowded New England field. Defending champion Berkshire continues to roll as well as NMH. It’s going to be a race to the finish for the best possible standing before the playoffs start. Here’s your midweek recap:

Taft 2-5 Berkshire

The defending New England Champions traveled to Watertown to take on Taft school this Wednesday. Berkshire has been playing as well as any team in New England, as they search for their fifth consecutive win. Taft has been playing strong soccer as well, but this match belonged to the  Bears. Berkshire Senior Captain Mutaya Mwape had a big game, as he pitched in with a hat trick.  Taft was no weak opponent as they continued to fight, and added two goals to the scoreline. The convincing preformance by the Bears has people to believe they are one of the teams to beat in New England.

Berkshire is now 7-1 on the season, with their only loss coming at the hands of Loomis. The Bears will play Suffield at home this weekend

Taft falls to 4-2-3, and looks to remain in the hunt for the playoffs with a game vs TP this weekend.

Avon Old Farms 1-2 Northfield Mount Hermon

The Hoggers took a long bus ride to Avon to take on the improved Winged Beavers. NMH has been riding a six game win streak;  the Winged Beavers have also been playing well . The first half was constantly back and forth, with Avon pushing to get behind the back line. The strong NMH defense, which has not conceded a goal in the last five contests, kept Avon out of the air. In the second half, NMH would take the lead, Patterson ’17 found Yanagiara ’17 at the top of the 18. Yanagiara split two defenders with a lovely first touch and slotted the ball in the back of the net to break the resistance. As Avon brings more pressure behind in the game,  Malcom ’17 sends a lovely, 40 yard ball over the top to Fitzgerald ’16 who finished his chance with a clinical chip over the Avon goalkeeper. Avon continued to fight, down two, as they win a corner. A driven ball is played in and Marshall ’18 connects as the ball takes a deflection off the NMH defender and finds the back of the net. The last four minutes were full of excitement, but the Hoggers’ strong back line finished off the job.

Trinity-Pawling 1-3 Brunswick

The Brunswick Bruins faced off against a  struggling Trinity Pawling team on wednesday. The Bruins had to be feeling good, coming off a strong performance against Kent to stay perfect. TP has been struggling as of late, but they battled and played an outstanding games despite the scores.

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 11.27.34 PM

The game was all square until the 30th minute, when Brunswick freshman Will Sands was taken down inside the box, and a penalty was awarded to the Bruins. Senior Sal Lopez, calm as can be, stepped up to the spot and gave  ‘Wick the opening goal. With exceptional all around play from TP’s goalie, the Bruins only led by one at the half. This was crucial because in the 54th minute, The Pride were awarded a penalty and converted. This resistance did not last long, as Bruins’ foward, Sal Lopez broke free on a counter attack with a lovely pass from the Sophomore midfielder Nick Boardman. The final goal was a beautiful, with a great sequence of passing. Freshman James Sands passed to his brother Will Sands, who layed it off to Dante Polvera who finished the chance. The 2 goal would be all that Brunswick would need.

Brunswick remains undefeated, and will host Choate on Friday.

TP continues to struggle as they are now 1-7-1 on the year.

Deerfield 2-0 Westminster

The Deerfield Greendoor’s hosted the Westminster Martlets on a lovely Wednesday afternoon. Both teams looked to rebound after tough losses on the previous weekend. The game started off hard fought, with both teams possessing and running down the field. After a nice attacking play by Deerfield, they won a corner. In the 35th minute, the Greendoor’s capitalized on the set piece, going up 1-0. Both times continued to battle in the second half as Deerfield won another corner. In a similar play to the first goal, Deerfield was able to put the ball in the back of the net on another corner. Westminster continued to play hard, but they had no goals to show for it. Unfortunately for the Martlets, they fell victim to two corner kicks.

Kent 3-1 Kingswood-Oxford

The Kingswood-Oxford Wyverns traveled to Northwest Connecticut to take on a talented Kent team. The Wyverns controlled the tempo for most of the first half, as the game was up for grabs. In the midway point of the first half, Wyverns Senior, Jack Wolf scored on a terrific pass from Sophomore Ryan Goss.  Both sides continued to battle, but KO would maintain the lead at the half . The second half was a different story. Wake Forrest Commit Emmanuel Twumasi took over the game by scoring all three of the Lions goals.

Despite Twumasi’s second half hat trick, Kingswood’s goalie Krupp ’17 played was still able to have a solid game in net. It was a hard fought game for both teams, and both sides have positives to look upon moving forward.

Kent improved to 3-4-1 on the season, and has a game at home vs Canterbury this weekend.

KO dropped to 3-6 and has a game at Pomfret on Saturday.

Choate Rosemary Hall 3-2 Williston Northampton

The Williston Northampton Wildcats took the road to face the Wild Boars of Choate. Right out of  the gate, the Wild Boars pressured the Wild Cats and dominated possession for the first ten minutes. Finally, the tie was broken, Choate sophmore Sebastian Barquin-Sanchez found Senior Andreas Piepenburg to give the Wild Boars the lead. Barquin-Sanchez’s pass could not have been more perfect. Two minutes later, after a Wildcat turnover, Choate’s Jared Reeber  ’16 placed the ball in the back of the net off a nice cross from junior Henry Jacob.

The aggressive Choate attack did not stop there. Sebastian Barquin-Sanched would connect on a powerful strike to beat the Williston keeper to give Choate a 3-0 at halftime. However, in the second half, this game was far form over. Williston would find the back of the net twice and while looking for an equalizer, they were awarded a free kick. Williston forward Davis Smith, took the free kick and was able to curve it over the wall of defenders. However,  Choate goalie Frank Cadwell was able to get a finger on the ball, and make  a remarkable save. Choate would go on to win by the score of 3-2.

Though not a league game, the Wild Boars improved to 5-3-2 on the season, and will head to Greenwhich on Friday to face Brunswick.


Salisbury 1-3 Loomis Chaffee 

The visiting Pelican drove up to Salisbury to take on the Sarum Knights. Loomis was looking to get back to .500 at the halfway point of the season. Despite some early pressure by the Knights in the beginning, Loomis held most of the possession. In a poorly defended free kick, the Knights struck first to break the ice and go up 1-0.

Even without a lead, Loomis continued to keep the  pressure on. Salisbury’s goal keeper was making save after save. The tempo of the game remained fast, but physical play from the strong Pelican defense, kept the two fast Ghanian Salisbury strikers off the scoreboard.

At the beginning of the second half, a strong shot from senior Declan Moylan took an unfortunate deflection and found Conn ’16 at the first post, who was able to tie the game for the Pelicans. The continued pressure from the Pelicans rattled the defense, and led to a poor clearance. Young freshman Mikey Suski scooped up the ball, dribbled in the box, and struck home the game winner with 25 minutes left. Still looking for an insurance goal, Loomis forward, Conn took a shot from 20 yards out to give Loomis a 3-1 lead. The Pelicans would hang on to win by the score of 3-1.