Soccer Recap: Bearcats tie the Tigers, AOF topples Salisbury and More

This weekend’s action included some high scoring matches as well as some low scoring affairs. A few weeks in, no team has really separated itself from the pack. Here is your recap:

Hotchkiss 2-2 Suffield

A hot Bearcat squad welcomed an even hotter Tiger team to their home turf. As the two streaking teams met head on, the result was an even 2-2 tie that subdued both teams. Suffield was forced to play from behind for one of the first times this season as Hotchkiss took a 2-1 lead off back to back goals, including one off a free kick.

The Tigers were able to procure the equalizer off the foot of Oyikwan Asante ’16. That effectively ended the scoring for the match, but the physicality remained until the final whistle as these two teams battled for every inch. The tie allowed Suffield to remain undefeated while Hotchkiss’ two game streak ended.

Kent 4-1 Deerfield

In last year’s game between these two teams, Deerfield overpowered Kent in a 4-0 win. Not the case for this match as Kent took the win over the boys in green by a score of 4-1. The game started out in favor of Deerfield, but a quick and speedy Kent quickly turned the game in their favor. The first goal came in the 16th minute from Emmanuel Twumasi ’16 when a long ball over Deerfield’s defenders allowed the Kent striker to get a breakaway and put the ball in the back of the net. Just a minute later, Kent struck again to double their lead.

Deerfield tried to claw their way back, and the Big Green was able to regain some momentum going into half time. A corner from Oliver Fair ’16 caused the Kent defender to score an unfortunate goal on his own net. In the second half, Kent continued to pressure by putting in two more goals. The final score was Kent 4-1 Deerfield.

Salisbury 0-2 Avon Old Farms

On a cold and rainy day in the hills of Salisbury, the Winged Beavers took the pitch to take on a talented home squad. Avon got off to an early lead when Dane Bartkiewicz ’18 whipped a cross into the Salisbury penalty area from the left wing. Junior forward Devin Marchitto did the rest. Taking the ball off the bounce, Marchitto pivoted and hit a left-footed half volley past an outstretched Salisbury keeper giving Avon a 1-0 lead. Salisbury kept threatening during the first half, largely on the efforts of Cam Meyer ’17 and Daniel Amo ’16, but the home team continued to struggle with finishing.

In the second half Salisbury showed moments of promise by taking shots on Avon’s net but still unable to convert. Avon put the game away when Mo Ndiaye ‘18 beautifully chipped the Salisbury keeper from a tough angle down the right flank. In the end, the Knights could not get back in the game and finished with what Assistant Coach Will Brown termed “a disappointing loss.”

For his efforts in sheparding the back line, winning every ball in the air on his side of the field, and putting in some serious challenges, Blake Bartkiewicz ’16 was recognized by the opposing coach as the WNEPSSA Man of the Match.

Loomis Chaffee 0-4 Northfield Mount Hermon

The Pelicans finally found a win last game against the Pride, but they were unable to build off that momentum as they have now lost four of their last five games. NMH jumped all over the hapless home team as they potted all four of their goals in the first half. boys_soccer_celebrates

The loss marked the second time Loomis has been shut out this season, and both times have come at home. The Pelicans only had one loss all of last season, but this one marks their fourth this year already. They will look to recapture some of that mojo from last year as they go down the stretch.

Gunnery 2-3 Brunswick

The Brunswick Bruins travelled to Gunnery School this week to try and keep their record untarnished. A hard fought game was played between both squads. Despite possession in favor of Brunswick for the majority of the first half, they could not get one by Senior GK Tom Bakeeff who had an outstanding game between the pipes and finished with 8 saves. The first 30 minutes were left scoreless, but in the 37th minute captain Sal Lopez ’16 cut through the defense and placed one by the keeper giving Brunswick a 1-0 lead. The Highlanders were quick to respond only minutes later when junior James Levy ripped a shot from the 18 yard box into the lower left corner to tie the score at 1-1.

It was a very successful game for Brunswick’s freshman Will Sands who slotted two goals, the first in the 60th minute, and the second coming only minutes later. The Highlanders, still fighting, put another ball in the back of the net which left the score at 3-2. With several golden chances in the second half for Gunnery but nothing to show for it, Brunswick got out with a very impressive 3-2 win which allowed the Bruins keeping their undefeated season rolling at 5-0.

Choate 0-2 Exeter

With both teams looking to gain 3 points, Phillips Exeter hit the road to take on a tough opponent in Choate. The match was even throughout the first half with both teams getting good looks at the goal but neither team was able to finish. As a result, the half ended in 0-0 draw.

The second half started off with a quick strike from Exeter as senior Henry Beherns converted off a corner to make it 1-0 just four minutes into the half. With Choate trying to push their way through, they were beat back down and with less then twenty minutes left in the match. Exeter was able to find the back of the Choate net once more as Alistair Matule ’17 placed a clinical finish from a great cross into the back of the net, securing the win for Phillips Exeter.

Taft 2-2 Andover

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 2.54.36 PM

After a heavy set of rain, the varsity field was declared unplayable which forced a move to another pitch. After a slow start, Andover dominated possession and generated several quality scoring chances in the early minutes of the game. In the seventeenth minute, an Andover striker collected a long, diagonal pass and took a clever touch towards Taft’s goal. The striker was tripped inside the penalty area, resulting in a penalty kick for the visitors. The penalty was converted which gave Andover a 1-0 lead. The Andover attack would not stop there, when a free kick was bent in the near post past a diving goalkeeper which gave the boys in blue a 2-0 lead going into half.

Taft, however, would find the power to crawl out of the hole. With thirty minutes remaining, Taft got on the board when Jay Lavallee ’17 played a tricky pass in behind the Andover defense from the left side. The loose ball found its way to Mthabis Tshuma ’18 who clipped it into the back of the net, cutting the deficit in half. Taft found the equalizer when junior Miguel Ridruejo played the ball out to the right side for a checking Matteo Mangiardi ’27, who dribbled across the top of the penalty area before placing the ball in the back of the net. A hard fought game for both teams resulted in a draw.

Westminster 1-1 Pomfret School

A draw was the end result in this match. Westminster keeper Griffin Price ’16 played a particularly great game and finished the game with 12 saves, many of which were highlights; he would go on to win man of the match. After a scoreless first half Westy was first to strike when JP Schuhlen ’16 finished one midway through the second half. Yet, the feisty Pomfret team was yet to be deterred and scored a late goal with just three minutes left.

The result leaves the Martlets winless on the season. With the draw, they finally were able to pot their first goal of the season through four games. The team is certainly hoping this will spark their 2015 campaign and they have a good chance to do that when they play the second of a two game home set on Wednesday.

Williston Northampton 0-4 Berkshire

A very talented Berkshire squad hit the road to take on Williston Northampton. The boys from Williston had a tough time holding off the defending NEPSAC champions. Both teams took shots on goal, but it was only Berkshire who would be able to capitalize by putting in two goals in the first half. In the second half, Berkshire tacked on two more to put the contest out of reach. In the end, it was a talented Bears team that would come out on top and earned a critical the three points in NEPSAC standings.

The win marked Berkshire’s fourth of the year, and their second in a row after a loss to Milton Academy. Next they return home to take on Millbrook before hitting the road for a two game trip.

Hopkins 1-0 Trinity-Pawling

The Pride travelled to Hopkins with the aim at ending their current three game losing streak. That streak, unfortunately, only was lengthened to four as they were unable to muster a single goal in this road loss. Since winning their first game of the year 3-0, they have gone 0-4-1 and have only been able to score three goals in those five games.

Their next contest presents another challenge as they host the tricky Choate Wild Boars. They will try to get back into the win column with that game on Wednesday.