Soccer Recap: A Triplet of Draws, Brunswick Edges Deerfield, and More

A lot of action this past weekend ended with a lot of draws, a fan’s worst fear. To the teams, however, it certainly beats a loss. Ironically it turns out the two feature games wound up as ties in Founder’s League matches. Of course, there is also a fair share of blowouts and close games as well. Check it out:

Choate 2-2 Kent

Kent School headed to Choate Rosemary Hall eager to earn 3 points. Throughout the first half, both sides were producing great opportunities but never converted. Kent School dominated the ball possession throughout the game; however, Choate defended well to deny Kent’s goal scoring.

It was a tale of two games as the second half completely differed from the second. Choate was first to break the balance two minutes into the second half, as Andreas Pippenburg ’16 was taken down in the Kent box. Senior captain Jared Reeber finished the penalty kick giving Choate a 1-0 lead. Eager to score an equalizer for the next 20 minutes, Kent dominated the game. In 17th minute, Kent’s effort finally paid off when Scott Lubin ’17 received a through ball in the Choate box as he was able to bury it to tie the match. Just over five minutes later, Andre Rinaldi ’17 found the ball at his feet after Kent was blocked and was able to put Kent in the lead at 2-1. With over twenty minutes left to play, Choate harshly pushed for an attack seeking an equalizer.

With seven minutes left in the game, Jack Hutchinson once again appeared on the score sheet when he scored a dramatic equalizer for Choate, making it 2-2. In the last seven minutes of the game, both teams faced several discive opportunities to break the tie; however, each failed to score additional goal, and the game ended 2-2.

The tie was Choate’s second of the season as they remained undefeated. They managed to keep that undefeated record with a 3-0 win against Westminster earlier today. Kent, meanwhile, travelled to Berkshire and lost to the reigning New England champs, 5-1.

Avon Old Farms School 2-2 Taft School

Avon faced Taft at home looking to continue their winning streak. Avon faced Taft with their best eleven determined to win in front of their home fans. In the opening minutes, Taft had several decisive chances which were blocked by Avon’s goalkeeper Arthur Torres ’16. Avon also created critical chances by sending the balls to the top which were blocked by Taft’s defence line. Taft first broke the balance when Miguel Ridruejo ’17 drove long ball out to the left sideline where Jay Lavallee ’17 beat his defender and slipped a pass to Matteo Mangiardi ’17. With a sharp turn, Mangiardi found himself in on goal giving Taft 1-0 lead. Ten minutes later, Avon responded to Taft by junior Diego Remedios’ goal tapping a ball into a net.

In the second half, it was Taft who once again broke the tie. Mthabisi Tshuma ’18 ambitiously challenged the midfield, created a breakaway, and slotted the ball into the back of the net. Avon quickly responded when Diego Remedios scored once more for Avon from a tough angle. Taft took more chances at the last 15 minutes of the game. However, Taft’s attempts were denied by Avon’s goalkeeper Arthur Torres and ended in 2-2 tie.

Avon travelled to Brunswick earlier today but came back with a 3-1 loss. Taft faced Deerfield but has yet to report a score.

Deerfield 1-2 Brunswick

On 26th of September, Deerfield hosted Brunswick in front of their fans. Although both teams had intense game for 90 minutes, all of the points were scored in the first half. Brunswick started off the game with a goal from senior Nick DeSalvo. As the ball got loose in Deerfield’s penalty area, DeSalvo clinically scored a first goal of the game. Brunswick scored additional goal when Sal Lopez ’16 took the ball on a breakaway to score in 16th minute and take a 2-0 lead.

In the 21st minute Nigel Andrews ’16 of Deerfield scored a screamer into the upper left corner of the net after 45 yards of dribbling. Eager to score an equalizer, Deerfield pressured Brunswick in second half. Deerfield, however, failed to score an equalizer and the game ended at 2-2. Deerfield had total ten shots on target while Brunswick only had five.

The Rhinos came earlier today to challenge Deerfield but that score has not been reported yet. The Bruins next took on the Winged Beavers and took that contest 3-1.

Hotchkiss 1-6 Berkshire; Milton 3-1 Berkshire

Hotchkiss had the envious pleasure of hosting defending New England Champion Berkshire, and the Hotchkissresult was indicative of that title. The Bears jumped all over the Bearcats with a barrage of scores. Surprisingly, however, it was not their highest scoring game of the season as they scored eight against a
hapless Wilbraham and Monson team. The loss kept Hotchkiss winless, and they have only scored one goal through two games.

Then, Berkshire fell to a surprising Milton team 3-1. They pressured early in the second frame by cutting Milton’s first half 2-0 lead to 2-1 off a goal from Mutaya Mwape ’16. That momentum was not enough to pot another one, however, and Milton added an insurance tally in the 75th minute to officially put the game away.

Today, Berkshire got back into the win column with a solid 5-0 win over Kent as they continued their early season dominance over Founder’s League teams.

Suffield Academy 3-0 Westminster School

To redeem from their shocking defeat of 4-0 to Taft, Westminster took on Suffield Academy on Friday afternoon in another tough road contest. Utilizing its compact defensive line, Suffield successfully defended Westminster’s fierce attack to take a lead. Late in the first half, Suffield Academy finally managed to take a lead by senior Inigo Urgarte’s goal.

Utilizing several substitutions, both teams started their second half with fresh feet. Seven minutes into the second half, Westminster gave away a penalty kick due to defender’s hand ball foul. With senior Trevor Lyne’s clinical finish, Suffield Academy dominated the game by a score of 2-0. Despite arduous efforts of Westminster’s powerhouse composed of seniors Jack Werner, Jordan Barnes, and Declan Horrigan to keep the possession of the balls. Suffield completed the game by Mike Burch’s insurance goal in the last seven minutes of the game. Suffield Academy goalkeeper Jackson Pentz ’19 registered his second clean sheet of the season and once again proved Suffield’s potent defensive line.

Westminster took on Choate earlier today and was shut out yet again and remain winless on the season, falling to 0-3.

Pomfret School 1-1 Salisbury School

Starting with squads of talented young players, both teams experienced a tough game on Saturday. As Pomfret attempted to control a game by extensive possession of balls, Salisbury quickly countered by direct link up play between its striker Daniel Amo and midfielder Theo Quarthy. Although these constant partnership caused problem in Pomfret’s defensive line, Pomfret’s back four line and keeper Jake Bacon managed to end the first half without conceding a goal. During the first half, Pomfret’s attacking force struggled to score against Salisbury’s defensive line. This resulted in a scoreless first-half.

Although the beginning of the second half was similar to first, Salisbury broke the tie by scoring the first goal of the game at 50th minute. As Pomfret’s attack stalled, Salisbury took advantage with a counter attack. With a combination plays, Salisbury took the lead. However, Pomfret School quickly pushed the pace seeking an equalizer. Raphael Guillebon ’16 dribbled through Salisbury’s side which resulted in a free kick in a near bottom corner of Salisbury’s 18. Jesse Martinez ’16 crossed the ball towards the back post which Raphael Guillebon clinically scored with his header. The final thirty minutes of the game was a back and forth affair to grasp the victory. However, impressive saves and defense by both teams denied the other from victory resulting a 1-1 draw.

Salisbury welcomed NMH all the way from New Hampshire earlier today, but the score has yet to be reported.

Andover 4-1 Loomis Chaffee; LC 0-1 South Kent

Despite taking the first score of the contest, the Pelicans fell to Andover after allowing four straight scores. Loomis’ first and only score came off the head of senior TK Murphy at the 35 minute mark. The rest of the half, however, belonged squarely to the host Andover squad as they scored four straight including two boys_soccer_celebratesfrom Brandon Girard ’16. This outburst secured the game for them before the halftime buzzer even
sounded.Andover was supposed to travel to Holderness earlier today, but that contest was cancelled due to rain.

The Pelicans, meanwhile, played their second game of weekend doubleheader against South Kent. The venue was different at home, but their result remained the same. They were shut out and have now lost two in a row after winning their first two contests. They finally got back into the win column earlier today with a 3-1 win over Founder’s League Rival TP.

-Ji Hyung Kim and Jake de Saint Phalle